Placetoplan allows organizations to invite citizens to participate in planning and placemaking and share ideas by a very easy and straightforward web platform.
- Reflect back on the objective of the tool you built: did you exceed it, or fall short? If so, why?
Placetoplan is a digital dialogue platform for planners, property developers, site developers and citizens where they can share plans or places with the public. With different types of file formats, images, movies, maps, drawings and 3D, ideas and suggestions can be shared and get feedback. Simple surveys are also possible to carry out on the platform, with comments received live to analyse. Opinions in different community groups, points of consensus or conflicts, etc. Automated consultation reports are provided in word or pdf with the aim to give accessible feedback to the public.
Placetoplan has been used in 40+ dialogue projects, engaging over 10 000 people. Planning organizations, municipalities and property owners have successfully used the input for their planning, changing designs and adapting to the local opinions.
- What are the tools’ metrics for success and what does metric say – how well did the tool do?
Placetoplan measures number of comments, by type, theme, age, gender, residency, group. We also measure the length and quality of comments. Quantity and quality are metrics of success.
- Were your assumptions that the tool you built would: increase participation/engagement or tackle an issue/raise awareness correct? Do you think you chose the right approach – and what would you do differently?
The main assumption was that the tool would reach a broader audience than usual dialogue activities. We have seen this. However, the success of the dialogue is also dependent on how it is communicated to the citizens. It is not enough to just have a webpage, you have to spread the word in other channels, social media, posters etc.
- What are you hearing from users? What do they enjoy in tool? What do they find challenging?
Placetoplan has been tested by thousands, people of all ages. Even small children, 6 year olds, seem to find it very easy to use. One of our role models have been to have it as user friendly as Instagram or TikTok.
- Did your tool deliver what you were hoping for? Are they useful for your key user audience? Are they being adopted?
Yes. Placetoplan has been used at all scales, from city regions to small places like streets. By small and large organizations. Reaching many different citizens and neighbourhoods.
- What worked well through the implementation process? What areas have room for improvement?
Placetoplan has the objective to be the most easy-to-use digital platform for citizen participation and dialogues in planning. The goal is also to support constructive supportive dialogue by means of platform design. With this, it is always room for improvement in the user interface for citizens and the admin interface for organizations.
- GOAL:Participatory decision-making on urban planning
- Made by:Spacescape
- YEARS ACTIVE:Ongoing